On February 11, 1909, a meeting was held at the home of Mrs. G.S. Watkins for the purpose of organizing a Presbyterian Church. On this date, by the grace of God, Buchanan First Presbyterian Church came into being. The Rev. R.D. Carson, an Evangelist of Abingdon Presbytery, was Chairman of the meeting. Preaching services were held throughout Buchanan County by the Rev. W.W. Arrowood, who was ordained as an Evangelist in September, 1909. Rev. Arrowood also taught and preached in the Presbyterian School in Grundy.
On April 7, 1910, a lot was given to the church on which a building was erected. In 1954, a lot was purchased between Route 460 and the Levisa River. The Rev. Frank E. Clark served after Rev. Arrowood’s departure and served the church and the school. A number of pastors served during the next three decades. In 1956, The Rev. Paul Gess arrived as Pastor and it was soon determined that the time had arrived to plan for the construction of a new church building.
On August 10, 1958, the present facility was dedicated and in the words of Pastor Gess, This beautiful church plant is your spiritual home on earth, therefore, it behooves each one so to live for Christ in this home that others may be led to find Christ as their personal Savior and join the household of God. Buchanan First has always been active in our community and in our Abingdon Presbytery.
May our Lord and Savior continue to bless the ministry of Buchanan First Presbyterian Church in our community, our Presbytery and our world.